Emergency Financial Assistance
The items listed below are a guideline of items that we will need to process your application for financial assistance. Not all of the items will apply to you; however, you can use them as a checklist to make sure you have all the information that is necessary for you to file a claim. When in doubt about individual requirements to bring, please contact the Williams County Veterans Office (419) 636-8812. We understand every household is different, please be advised it’s a household claim, and we will process the claim as such.
The Williams County Veterans Service Commission has set policy to approve the following requests:
- Rent, Deposits, Mortgage
- Utilities such as electric, gas, propane, water, trash
- Miscellaneous Items: Must be approved by the commission
Each applicant for financial assistance must meet the definition of a Veteran as defined by Title 5901.01 of the Ohio Revised Code and meet the requirements set forth in the Williams County Financial Assistance Policy. Applicants must be a Veteran, an Active Duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, the spouse, surviving spouse, a dependent parent, minor child, or ward of the veteran or the Active Duty member. Reserve and National Guard members have to meet specific requirements to qualify.
Applicants must have been a bona fide resident of Williams County for a period of 3 months/90 days immediately preceding application. Proof of residency will be required.
In most cases, the Veteran must be present to make the application. A financial need must exist to be eligible, the following documents, plus any other documents, that the service officer views pertinent will be used to process your claim.
- Discharge papers if first time (DD214 or equivalent Federal statement of Service)
- Bank Statements for all savings accounts and checking accounts.
- Last, four pay stubs from all working members of the household or statement of earnings from the employer; (bank statement for direct deposit if applicable) if pay stubs are not available.
- Social Security award letter or statement from Social Security office. (Known as Long Form)
- Statement of veteran's VA Compensation/ Pension (Award Letter).
- Statement of sick / workman’s compensation benefits.
- Unemployment Compensation statements and/or determination form.
- Statement for receipt of unpredictable amounts of income from sources such as alimony, child support, spot labor, grants, gifts, tax returns, etc...
- Most recent bills for heat, electric, water/sewer, trash, taxes, insurance, vehicle payments, and all other bills. (Medical bills need proof of last payment)
- Rent receipt and lease, mortgage payment and/or tax receipts.
This list is not an all-inclusive list it is simply a brief checklist provided for you as a guideline to help expedite your FA Claim.